Does fashion attract you? Always craving to showcase your creativity? Willing to something outbox with fashion? Then we are here to guide you with fashion designing Course. This blog will give you a complete guide regarding fashion designing career and related courses. Read the complete article below.
What is Fashion Designing?
Fashion designing is a creative art for designing clothes and lifestyle accessories. It is influenced by cultural and social attitudes which changes time to time. Fashion depends on one’s ability to adapt style and sense of colours. Designing something and turning into a vogue requires a lot of research which is conducted by Fashion designers. They try to design clothes that meet public demand and look pleasing as well. Clothes are designed for the mass markets especially everyday wear which are also called ready to wear. Unusual garments like evening wear and party dresses are more focused that are made for occasions and sold on an exclusive price.
Fashion designing is a high earning field if you have the sense to predict the upcoming of fashion. This stream is creative fancy and full of glamour that welcome deserving one with never-ending opportunities. However, you need to require some skills also to survive in this industry which you will learn while doing fashion designing course. So if you think you are the right candidate to carry this genre then choose this wonderful career and come into a flashlight with colours, shapes, and design.
Fashion Designing Course Details
Fashion Designing courses are designed according to the uniqueness, experiences of creativity and the approach of taking this career ahead i.e meeting industrial requirements. A wide range of teaching and learning strategies are used in this course so that students effectively learn about fashion skills and can choose their domain of interest. The curriculum of Fashion Designing includes:
- Formal Lectures
- Studio – Based Projects
- Practical workshops
- Project Critiques
- Demonstration of equipment and techniques
- Guided independent study
- Individual and small group tutorials
- Study Visits
Fashion designing programs are divided into UG, PG and diploma courses.PG courses are generally for 2 years which is streamlined with fundamental and technical knowledge of tailoring, sewing and basic fashion theory etc. (this very course to course). Bachelor’s degree program is for 4 years and basic course of fashion designing in the first year and as the course pursue students will learn about technical, artistic and conceptual skills. Fashion Designing subjects are drawing, 3-D design, colour theory, textiles, computer-aided design, portfolio presentation, and fashion as a business. During the course, the students will go through practical exposure like studio portfolio and internship. This is an important part of a course because students are being hired on the basis of their portfolio work.
List Of Fashion Designing Courses in India 2019
With growing education in India, many new courses in fashion designing have come up. These courses are not a basic course but are in the form of different specialization like textile, jewellery, footwear designing etc. To become a fashion designer you need to obtain an undergraduate degree in fashion designing. You can opt for this course after your 10+2 level. But it does not mean that this course is not for graduates or people having an equivalent degree. There are many short term courses offered by many institutes especially design for the students who are graduate in a different area but willing to do fashion designing course. List of some courses we have mentioned:
Fashion Designing UG Courses After 12th List
If you seriously want to make your career in fashion designing then you should opt for the undergraduate course after 12th. Starting early will help you in building your base and making the best in this industry. Fashion designing course starts with a bachelor’s degree after which you can go in Fashion writing, fashion merchandising, boutiques, Costume designing etc. The list of fashion designing UG courses are:
- B. Des in Fashion Designing
- B. Des in Knitwear Designing
- B. Des in Textile Designing
- B.A. in Fashion, styling and Image Designing
- B.A. in Fashion Business Designing
- B.A. in Fashion Management
- B.A. in Fashion Designing
- B.A. in Fashion Media Communication
- B.A. (Hons)in Fashion Marketing and Retail Management
- B.Sc in Apparel Fashion Design
Fashion Designing PG Courses List
PG courses in Fashion Designing are done to pursue more specialization after graduation. This will help in knowing more about the fashion industry. The master’s program varies from course to course and generally of two years in which students will learn according to their domains that can be Management, Business or Photography etc.
- Masters In Fashion Designing
- M.Des in Fashion and Textiles
- M.A in Fashion Retail Management
- M.A in Fashion and Textile Merchandising
- MBA in Fashion Management
- MBA in Fashion Design and Business Management
- MBA in Fashion Design and Business Management
- MBA in Fashion Merchandising and Retail Management
Short Term Fashion Designing Courses
Short term courses are from three to one year of duration. One can pick up the course as per their interest. Most of the short term courses are a focus on single are of specialization like CAD (Computer Aided Designing).In most of the institute, short term courses are in merchandising and management. By the end of the course, you will get to know about understanding the fashion environment and concepts how of how to work in this field.
Courses With 6 Months Duration
- Introduction to Design and Fashion
- Computer-Aided Design for textile
- Fashion, Art and Illustration
- Visual Merchandising’
Courses with a 1-year duration
- Fashion Design
- Fashion And Clothing
- Fashion Knitwear and Production
- Fashion Retail Management
- Fashion Designing and Apparel Technology
Top Fashion Designing Colleges in India 2019
After knowing about Fashion designing course the next step is to choose fashion designing college. We suggest choosing the best college so that you can have a firm career with excellent placements. You can go through the website of these top fashion designing colleges and get an idea about their admission process. It is to be noted that the admission criteria depend on course to course. Admissions are done generally on the basis of entrance examination (in the case of the top institute). NID take on the basis of DAT(Design Aptitude Test) which is further divided into prelims and Mains. NIFT conducts CAT, GAT followed by GD and PI. These entrance tests are conducted to test a student’s creativity, knowledge, and presence of mind. Some top institutions of fashion designing are:
- National Institute of Fashion Technology (NIFT), New Delhi
- Kukreja Institute Of Hotel Management & Catering Technology
- Amity School of Fashion Technology, Noida
- University of Petroleum and Energy Studies
- Dev Bhoomi Group of Institutions, Dehradun
- JD Institute of Fashion Technology, Meerut
- Vidya Institute of Fashion Technology, Meerut
- AP Goyal Shimla University (AGU), Shimla
- The IIS University, Jaipur
- Graphic Era Hill University (GEHU), Dehradun
- CT Group of Institutions, Jalandhar
- Punjab Agricultural University (PAU), Ludhiana
- Sharda University, Greater Noida
- IEC University (IECU), Baddi
- Mahatma Jyoti Rao Phoole University, Jaipur
- IK Gujral Punjab Technical University, Jalandhar
Fashion Designing Colleges List State Wise:
- Fashion Designing Colleges Uttrakhand
- Fashion Designing Colleges Utter Pradesh
- Fashion Designing Colleges Rajasthan
- Fashion Designing Colleges Delhi
- Fashion Designing Colleges Karnataka
Fashion Designing Subjects
There are many substreams streams in fashion designing so it is not possible for us to mention details of each domain. We have tried to mention popular domains that you can go through and can take the idea.
Bachelor’s of Fashion Designing (B.Des)– This is 4 years of duration course. The main focus of this course is to impart global fashion concepts and trends to the students. It is a hardcore field of fashion designing which include taking garment designing to the next level which keeps global and cultural aspects in minds. After doing this course you can become a designer, freelance illustrator, stylist etc.
Bachelors of Design (Leather Designing) – Well crafted leather goods are in demand so this course will bring many opportunities for the students at national and international level. Students are taught material knowledge, marketing knowledge etc. After completing this there many chances that one can work with top leather companies and brands.
Bachelors’ of Designing (Textile Designing)-This is the course of 4 years which prepare students in a stream of Textile manufacturing, raw material, production techniques, and process. Importance is given to textile designing at the global market and business level. After completion of a course one can choose to work in textile mills, can become an independent designer and a consultant etc.
Bachelors’ of Designing (Accessory Design) – Accessory designing is drawing the attention of lot many designers and many students are opting for Accessory Designing. This includes jewellery designing, lifestyle goods, footwear designing, and leather goods and watches etc. After doing this course one can take up a managerial post or can work with some top-notch brands that will depend on a portfolio.
Bachelors in Fashion Communication – We all know that just making a product will not work. It takes a lot many efforts for a product to be a brand. Without branding and marketing, the product will not get an identity and it will not get any kind of identity. To make a product brand Fashion communication is needed. This stream has sub-streams like Fashion Journalism, Fashion exhibitions, advertising, and public relations. After this course, one can join any advertising and branding company.
What Is The Cost of Fashion Designing Course in India
The fees structure of Fashion Designing Institute varies from college to college and course to course. It also depends on a type of college one is seeking either government or private. The fee also goes high if colleges have additional facilities like transport, hostel, mess, cafeteria or offering any additional course along with the major course. The basic fee in fashion designing is 45,000 to 70,000 per annual.
Career In Fashion Designing Courses
In India, the Fashion industry is growing and taking pace. This industry offers plenty of opportunities for talented and creative people. After successful course completion, you can either be self-employed, can work in many export houses, garment store chains, textile mills and brands like Chanel, Ritu Beri, Vogue, Tommy Hilfiger etc. The starting salary of fashion designer starts from 20,000 and go till 1 to 2 lac per month. Fashion Designer graduates can start their career by working in the studio of famous fashion designer for E.g. House of Tara, House of Anita Dongre etc. This will give a lead to the fashion industry and if you become a reputed designer this industry will load you with fame and wealth.
Designation after doing Fashion Designing Course
- Costume Designer
- Fashion Consultant
- Personal Stylist
- Production pattern Maker
- Fabric Buyer
- Apparel Production Manager
- Showroom sales representative
- Cutting Assistance
- Outside sale representative
- Art Director
- Graphic Designer
- Floral Designer
- Jewellery Designer
- Industrial Designer
- Purchasing Managers, Buyers and Purchasing Agents
Top Companies of Fashion Designing Course
Do you know the possibilities after fashion designing course? Do you know where you might end up working with? Which brands are regular recruiters? To know more about the fashion industry we have streamlines top fashion companies /recruiters.
- Allen Solly – They hire for work profiles like :
- Fashion Designer ‘
- Fashion Illustrator
- Fashion Stylists
- Fashion consultant
- Arvind Store – The Lalabhai Group, Arvind Ltd is among the largest integrated textile in India. It involves brands like:
- Cent Purita
- US Polo
- Hire for :
- Buying and Merchandising
- Creative Designing
- Custom Tailoring
- Visual Merchandising
- Lifestyle –Leading store having all national and international brands in one roof. They hire for profiles like:
- Buyer – Apparel
- Buyer –Accessory
- Assistant Manager – Design
- Pantaloons – Considered as India most trusted apparel retail brand hire for positions like:
- Fashion Merchant
- Fashion Designer cum Merchandiser
- Fashion Consultant
- Spyker – It is unisex jeans wear brand which is votes as ‘Most Exciting Brand’ by Economic Times. They approach for the job profiles :
- Design Head
- Design Manager
- Designer – Home Textiles
- Designer – Leather Accessories
- Designer – Home Furnishing
- Fashion Stylist
- Adidas- This is brand which is worldwide famous and has a global reputation. The profile of this brand here :
- Design Director
- Technical Apparel Design
- Footwear Designer
- Colour and Material Designer Design Manager
- Job Profile
- Jewellery Designer
- Design Director
- Graphic Designer
- Job Profile
- AND-House of Anita Dongre is coming under India’s leading fashion house which has brands like:
- Global Desi
- Grass root
- Job Profile:
- Production Merchandiser
- Creative Lead – Strategist and storyteller.
- BATA – Recruit creative and skilful designers who get opportunities to work in a dynamic environment. They are generally involved in researching ideas, attending fashion shows, sourcing, selecting and buying fabrics etc.
Skills Required For Becoming a Fashion Designer
- Knowledge of trend, fabric, colours etc
- Knowledge of pattern cutting, grading and garment construction
- Must be expressive
- Excellent business skills
- Good Drawing skills
- Strong analyzing skills
- Strong Decision-making skills
- Excellent communication skills.
Fashion Designing is the only industry that runs on creativity if you have that creativity you can do wonder in this field. It has struggled but you will definitely get recognition if you know how and where to put your skills.